Tuesday, July 21, 2009

quick, cheap and healthy ice cream substitute

Peel and break ripe one to one and a half bananas per person into chunks and freeze until solid in freezer bags. The bananas MUST be frozen; they create a creamy texture. Put them in a blender with your choice of cream, half and half, milk, hazelnut milk, coffee, plum juice, orange juice or water. Add a little cinnamon, carob or cocoa powder. In a regular blender you will need more liquid than in a high speed commercial blender, and the result will be more like a shake. In a good high speed blender you can approximate soft serve.

Everyone likes this! If you're on the raw food diet, this is something you can share with friends (unlike green smoothies) that will make them envious!

There are endless variations: Banana and blueberries, raspberries, blackberries - all those taste good alone or with ginger or cocoa. You can substitute a flavorful herbal tea for the liquid. You can add raw coconut butter and pineapple juice to make a virgin pina colada. You can even add raw cacao butter, but it tends to freeze fast and stick to the sides of the blender. It's so expensive I will spend way too much time trying to scrape every last bit off the blender wall so I can eat it and not waste any.

I might as well admit it - all these are so good I slurp up every drop I make and then wipe the blender walls clean with my hand (which I then lick) before washing the blender. My mom did teach me to be a lady, but I forget when it comes to banana ice cream!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Susanna said...

Hi, Larisa. I don't know if you remember me. I dropped in your store a couple weeks ago. I'm a realtor and we talked about how long it takes houses to sell. Anyway, I like your "ice cream!" I am afraid to try it with cream because I am on a diet, but it is very good with hazelnut milk, cinnamon and cocoa. And, like you, I couldn't get enough!!! But how many calories can be in bananas, anyway? :)

July 22, 2009 at 5:00 PM  
Blogger Susanna said...

Uh, and I'm afraid to ask, but what is a green smoothie???

July 22, 2009 at 5:02 PM  
Blogger Larisa said...

Thanks for your response and I do remember you. I don't personally worry about calories as long as I am eating real food. I've lost 30 pounds eating real food, including eggs, butter, beef, lamb, liver pate and banana ice cream with cream when I feel like it. What I do concentrate on is blood sugar response. I avoid sweets without fiber or fat to "slow the sugar." I eat grains very rarely now, avoiding especially grains with the bran removed (white flour and rice) and most of the time I do not eat anything that contains gluten, either. I admit to occasionally sampling cookies or cakes, as I did at Toby's birthday party yesterday.

A green smoothie is an alternative to vegetable and/or fruit juice. It contains all the fiber, which is broken down for easier digestion by thorough blending in a high speed blender. If you choose fairly mild greens, they can taste quite good. The problem is they tend to LOOK positively revolting, especially after they've sat awhile or if you mix greens with red fruits.

July 25, 2009 at 1:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home