Saturday, December 12, 2009

Avgolemono (chicken/lemon soup), yogurt salad dressing

Instead of chicken noodle soup, I crave Avgolemono when I am sick.  The traditional way to make it is to beat egg whites into stiff peaks and fold it in, but the way I make it is still frothy and a lot faster. 

I much prefer it made with a whole chicken and a lot of onions and other vegetables cooked down into stock, then the chicken removed for other meals. 

So you can adjust up or down for the size of your family, the formula is 2 eggs, 1/2 c. cooked brown rice and one lemon for 2 c. of stock.

Cook 1 chopped up onion, 2 tsp. basil, 1 tsp. salt and 2 cloves garlic in 4 c. chicken stock until onion has just a little crunch left to it.  Add 1 c. brown rice.  Turn heat to lowest setting. 

Blend 4 eggs and juice of 2 lemons until frothy.  Add hot soup a little at a time until egg mixture is hot, blending between additions.  Pour egg mixture into soup slowly, stirring.  Let cook an additional 5 minutes, stirring often.

If I weren't sick, I'd serve this with a huge crunchy salad with yogurt dressing and a hunk of bread. 

Here's my yogurt dressing recipe: 
1 c. whole milk yogurt
pinch of salt
1 tsp. dried dill leaves
1/4 tsp garlic
1 tbsp. olive oil
lemon juice to taste

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home